Thursday, April 18, 2013

13 Pictures

This project has been finishing up now for about the last 3 or 4 months. It looks like its pretty much complete at this point. My next painting will be a commission piece for a friend of mine of the Pulaski Skyway, which is only a remotely related subject.

Five Mile From Times Square began about 4 years ago, on a cold January day. I dragged my very dear friend Willie Joe to the foot of Snake Hill. He stayed below while I climbed to the top and shot several rolls of film (film...!). I eventually wrote a grant proposal (PDF link here) which got exactly zero interest, and I was forced to slog ahead on the project without any funding or support, but hey, painting is what I do.

The only difference is that I completed 13 paintings (my goal was 10-12) in 4 years instead of 1, and I wasn't able to get any financial backing to use as leverage towards getting a gallery show. But I sold about half of what I produced, so I guess that doesn't matter either.

So now I move on, look for a different subject. What I'm left with is a legacy of 13 images, many of which belong to other people now. No size, no titles, no dates, no info, just pictures, 13 pictures.
















No comments:

Post a Comment